The Long-term Plan for the Development between 2015 and 2019
The Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice was re-established on the 1st of January 2007, ten years after the university split into Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice and Prešov University in Prešov. After five years, the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice became a leader in the category FILOZOF (ARRA, 2011). The Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice has a leading position among the faculties of arts in terms of science and research (ARRA, 2014).
The quality of research, as well as the quality of the qualification structure of the individual departments at the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice, allowed the submission of 94 proposals for Comprehensive Accreditation 2014 at all three levels of university study as well as 7 proposals regarding habilitation proceedings and proceedings to appoint professors.
The strength of the Faculty is in its research potential which includes all four research areas (pedagogical science, humanities, social and behavioural sciences, historical and ethnographic science) as well as the corresponding flexible and extensive range of single major, double major, teaching and postdoctoral study programmes. The quality of the offered study programmes is supplemented by language qualification courses and soft skills courses which enhance the prospects of graduates in succeeding in the employment market. The quality indicators of the performance in education and research monitored by the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice are reflected in the high-quality criteria which are required for habilitation and appointment proceedings.
The challenges facing the Faculty can be found in the general decrease in the number of applicants for university study which is an essential part of the budget criteria of the Ministry of Education, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic as well as insufficient opportunities for obtaining essential funding from grants for the development of scientific research.
The aims of the Faculty for the short term are;
- to support high quality research output, publication of research findings primarily in current content journals and journals listed in international databases and in monographs
- to support the involvement of all teachers and doctoral students in research projects,
- to monitor the publication criteria of doctoral students, where fulfilment will be required for the completion of a doctoral study.
- to increase the involvement in the work of grant agencies and workgroups of the Accreditation Commission with the aim of strengthening the position and financial support for research and education in the humanities and social sciences.
The leading body of the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice has set the following strategic goals for the next four-year period in the area of education, research, international relations, development, and investments and in the area of organization and management.
- Strongly focus on the high-quality delivery of study programmes in relation to the criteria of the Comprehensive Accreditation.
- Continuously evaluate the quality of the delivery of the study programmes with respect to the professional, managerial, time-managerial and economic aspects (in the context of the decreasing ratio of students to teachers.)
- Continuously evaluate the quality of the delivery of the study programmes from the perspective of students in close co-operation with the student part of the Academic Senate of the Faculty of Arts of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice and the Student Council of the Faculty of Arts at the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice, provide organizational support for the student rating of the education process and its evaluation.
- Strengthen the authorization for the granting of approved as well as proposed study programmes in the future with the strategic aim of having at least two Professors and four Docents in each department within five years.
- Increase the potential of the employees of the Faculty to guarantee study programmes with the aim of offering all levels of qualification advancement (Doctoral study, habilitation proceedings, Professor appointment proceedings) in all study disciplines.
- Every department should prepare a plan of qualification advancement with the aim of increasing the number of teachers with the research/education titles Professor, Docent and research title Ph.D.
- Every Professor and Docent should write his/her handbook or co-author a handbook with authors outside of the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice in the discipline of her/his specialization in which he/she delivers lectures.
- Evaluate the normative and organizational compatibility of the student mobility programmes with respect to the explicitly formulated conditions securing the continuity of study and completion of the study of the students who applied for a stay at a foreign university.
- Introduce a requirement for every Ph.D. student to undergo at least one study stay abroad.
- Strengthen the theoretical and methodological training of Ph.D. study.
- Re-evaluate the plan of accepting students (number of application etc.) with maintaining a level of high quality.
- Stabilize the timetable in co-operation with other organizational units at the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice.
- Keep improving and updating the study legislation as necessary.
- Continue with the refinements of the Academic Information System, submit proposals for its improvement and adjustments as necessary.
- Support the writing of proposals and management of national and international projects in the field of education, provide university teachers with staff resources as well as management and administration services.
- Develop a system for advertising the offered study programmes and present the attractiveness of study for national and international students, increase the presence in media, improve active communication with secondary schools and search for talented students.
- Continuously evaluate and improve the competitiveness of the Faculty in education within national and international contexts, support the increase of international students.
- Improve online services concerning the application process.
- Improve the quality of introducing students to their study through tutors and improve the information flow between the Faculty and individual departments, minimize redundant administrative procedures related to study.
- Support the Students Council of the Faculty of Arts of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice to improve the advertisement of study programmes and improve the quality and management of study as well as free time and art activities of students (especially in the Minerva building)
- Institutionalize psychological and social counselling for university students at the Faculty in relation to University Counselling Centre (UNIPOC), improve the services for students with specific needs.
- Encourage learning of foreign languages among students and teachers of the faculties of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice and to improve their language skills especially in academic and scientific jargon.
- Initiate and improve cooperation with professionals in practice, monitor the employment market and employability of the graduates, require the active cooperation of individual departments with the graduates of the Faculty of Arts in activities and events organized by the departments or the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice.
- Support the development of high-quality study programmes for which there is demand with an emphasis on the internalization of the study (joint study programmes), provide conditions to maintain and further develop inter-faculty study programmes.
- Support the involvement of university teachers at the Faculty in workgroups of grant agencies, in the Accreditation Commission, expert commissions of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic, the Department for Implementation of Government Policy, the European and International Initiative for Research and Development, Division of Universities, Science and Research, the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic in the area of education and research, Ministry of Work, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic.
- Motivate the best students with scholarships, awards, and opportunities to participate in research.
- Provide support for the advertisement and development of modern methods in face to face as well as distance learning, initiate and support the use of the university´s Learning Management System (Moodle).
- Improve the access to study material and information resources in co-operation with other parts of the university (University library).
- Keep increasing the significance of the scientific output in the context of the overall output of the Faculty.
- Increase the quality of the research output by strengthening the most important types of publications in humanities (monographs, articles in scientific journals), increase the proportion of A category publications (according to the Accreditation Commission) relative to all publications, increase the number of publications in current content journals, indexed journals and other top quality publications.
- Initiate certain modifications, in co-operation with the University library, regarding the categorization of publications in such a way that the most valuable publications and relevant databases for research carried out at the Faculty of Arts of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice are appropriately recognized, try to increase the ratings of artistic publications when research output of artistic disciplines is evaluated, propose a special category for scientific and popular publications in electronic media within the central registries CREPČ and CREUČ.
- Continuously increase the staff potential for guaranteeing all levels of qualification advancement from internal resources of the university (Ph.D. study, habilitation proceedings, professor appointment proceedings) in all study fields.
- Increase the number of submissions for grant-funded projects (APVV, VEGA, KEGA) so that all staff members holding the position of Professor, Docent or Assistant Professor applying for habilitation will have led at least one grant in four years.
- Strengthen the interdisciplinary background for the writing of research proposals and working on research projects at the Faculty level APVV, VEGA as well as on projects including co-operation with other faculties.
- Increase international cooperation by joining international research projects (e.g. The European Union framework programme Horizon 2020).
- Every Professor, Docent, Assistant Professor and doctoral student must be involved in work on a research project.
- Increase the number of departments, which offer a Ph.D. study programme or increase the selection of offered study programmes in case a Ph.D. study programme already exists in one field.
- Support the membership of the Faculty staff in national grant commissions.
- Initiate the process of awarding the most theoretically and methodologically erudite staff members with the title DrSc.
- Scrupulously apply the internal evaluation system on the research output of the Faculty staff.
- Increase the involvement of Ph.D. students and young researchers in national and international scientific events and grants, support the international research stays of Ph.D. students in cooperation with relevant agencies.
- Support the research activities and artistic activities of students through the regular organization of student conferences as well as scientific seminars as part of the Ph.D. study, publish materials from Ph.D. seminars in a special monograph, publish the best Ph.D. theses as monographs by Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice.
- Strengthen the theoretical and methodological training during Ph.D. study to provide candidates with high-quality skills which ensure full development of their creative potential in their research area.
- Continue with the development of institutionalized international co-operation at the level of departments and faculties in education and research.
- Support international cooperation in European educational and research environment as well as outside Europe, by joining networks within the grant schemes of the European Union, develop supportive managerial and administrative structures whose role will be to make the process more dynamic and more effective.
- Support the further development of international co-operation in mobility programmes, particularly ERASMUS+ in two ways; by signing new contracts and by increasing the number of participants visiting other institutions as well as the number of participants coming to our institution including both students and teachers. In order to achieve a higher number of accepted students, it is important to increase the number of offered subjects within individual study programmes in English. This is particularly relevant for the projects focusing specifically on the field of education where study programmes and study materials in English are the outcomes of these projects (e.g. IRES). To support mobility programmes for students and teachers in German-speaking countries.
- Support the language education of international students of the faculties of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice for the benefit of the development of their language skills and especially with regard to scientific language including Slovak and English as a second language in the context of the ongoing projects (e.g. EXPERT).
- Search for possibilities to expand and stabilize the current membership of the Faculty of Arts of the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice and its organizational units in international scientific organizations, networks, consortiums, international advisory boards and evaluative boards.
- Develop co-operation with non-governmental institutions to meet the needs of individual organizational units, e.g. DAAD or OeAD, Institut Francais.
Development and investments
- Renovate and put to use the building of the former KDN (midwifery) now called Platon.
- Improve the surroundings of the newly refurbished buildings of the Faculty and create a recreational zone.
- Initiate the use of the television and film studio at the Faculty so it can be used for the purposes of presenting and advertising study programmes as well as research output and the Arts.
- Continuously evaluate the organizational structure, employee structure of individual departments in the context of output quality in education and research and within the economic possibilities.
Last update: 16.08.2016