AT PAVOL JOZEF ŠAFÁRIK UNIVERSITY, FACULTY OF SCIENCE
|Mail Addres:||Univerzita Pavla Jozefa Šafárika
SK - 041 54 Košice
The Faculty of Science of the P. J. Šafárik University in Košice was founded in 1963 and during its existence it educated more than 4 500 graduates of both, joint and single degree study in all branches of sciences. The Faculty provides the Bachelor´s, Magister´s (Master´s) and Doctoral degree studies.
The higher education at the Faculty of Science is provided on a research background closely interacting with domestic and foreign scientific and educational institutions. Up to 60 % of its scientific outputs are made within this co-operation. The research in the field of:
- Biology and Ecology is oriented on study of biodiversity of plants and animals, biotechnology of medicinal plants, cancerogenesis, prevention and cancer therapy;
- in Geography on relief evolution and landscape development of the Slovak Karst and Košice region;
- in Chemistry on synthesis and properties of new compounds as biologically active species and new materials;
- in Informatics on fuzzy techniques, neural networks and logical programming;
- in Mathematics on graph theory, algebraic structures, differential equations and topology;
- in Physics on development of new magnetic materials, theoretical and experimental research of low-dimensional magnetism and quantum liquids at ultra-low temperatures, nuclear collision studies and photo-dynamic effect.
The graduates of the Faculty find employment not only as researchers and secondary schools teachers but also adapt in the business sphere and public administration.
The Faculty offers the following one-subject Bachelor’s studies:
The Bachelor´s degree study for teacher-training is organised in the form of inter-branch study of two academic subjects; the Bachelor degree student continues in his study on the Magister degree.
The Bachelor study takes three years. After the successfully completed bachelor exam the student obtains the degree of "Bachelor" (Bc.).
Magister’s study (equivalent to Master’s study) is provided in the following one-subject branches :
Biology with study programmes in
Cell and Molecular Biology and Genetics
Botany and Plant Physiology
Zoology and Animal Physiology
Chemistry with study programmes in
Chemistry with specialisations in
Physical and Analytical Chemistry
Ecology with study programme in
General Ecology and Ecology of Individuals and Populations
Informatics with study programme in
Mathematics with study programmes in
Economical and Financial Mathematics
Physics with study programmes in
Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics
Physics of Condensed Matter
Physics with specialisations in
Astronomy and Astrophysics
Physical Engineering of Materials
General Physics and Mathematical Physics
The study takes two years. It is finished with a state final exam and submission of a thesis. Graduates obtain the degree of "Magister", which is equivalent to the degree Master of Science (M.Sc.)". The Bachelor and Magister study programs start usually in the middle of September. The academic year 2005/2006 starts on 19th September.
Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice
Faculty Of Science
041 54 Košice
Phone: (+421 55) 62 221 21 - 23
Fax: (+421 55) 62 221 24
Dean’s secretariat :
Phone: (+421 55) 62 276 65
Student Administration Office:
Phone: (+421 55) 62 232 24