Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Kosice - Faculty of Arts

українська
AIS2

ABOUT US

The history of the Language Training Centre (LTC) dates back to 1952, when the Cabinet of

Russian Language was established within the Faculty of Medicine and was supervised by the

Department of Russian Language operating under the Comenius University in Bratislava. The

first Head of the Cabinet was Assoc. Prof. Dr. Stefan Dobos, to be followed by JUDr. Jaroslav

Savulak from 1953. In 1959 the Cabinet was incorporated into the Department of Foreign

Languages operating within the former Faculty of Arts. In 1963, after the establishment of the

Faculty of Natural Science, a separate Department of Languages came into existence offering

its language courses to the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Natural Science, and later

also to the Faculty of Law. In that period the Department was headed by JUDr. Jaroslav

Savulak (till 1970) and PhDr. Ivan Kimak, CSc. (till 1982). After 1982 the Department was

chaired by Assoc. Prof. PhDr. Vasil Jabur, CSc. (1982–1986), prof. PhDr. Julius Rybak, CSc.

(1986–1994), in 1991–1992 vice-chaired by Assoc. Prof. PhDr. Frantisek Simon, CSc., and

PhDr. Olga Farkasova, CSc. (1994–1998). In 1998 Assoc. Prof. PhDr. Frantisek Simon, CSc.

assumed the position again. In 2014 the Language Training Centre was established and

chaired by PhDr. Helena Petruňová, CSc. (2014–2019).

The Department of Languages at the University of P. J. Šafárik in Košice (UPJS) was ranked

high among the scientific-educational workplaces conducting LSP courses in English, German,

French, Latin, Russian and Slovak as a foreign language at all non-philological UPJS faculties

for more than 50 years. Foreign language courses were provided at all three levels of tertiary

education, Bachelor´s, Master´s and Doctoral (PhD). In 2005 the Department of Languages at

UPJS became the basis of the Institute of Philologies and Social Sciences and later it was

incorporated into the Department of British and American Studies.

The Language Training Centre (LTC) of Pavol Jozef Šafarik University was established in

2014 as the facility of the Faculty of Arts, P. J. Šafarik University in Košice (UPJS) offering

students and employees of UPJS a range of language courses for specific purposes to

increase their language competences in English, Russian and Slovak as a foreign language.

Today, the principal mission of LTC is to allow the greatest number possible of students and

researchers at the University of P. J. Šafárik to learn one or several foreign languages to

foster their mobility inside as well as outside the university. The LTC is also responsible for

language training of international students at the university, focusing on Slovak language

courses at the Faculty of Medicine.

Currently, undergraduate and graduate students from all non-philological faculties (Faculty of

Medicine, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Public Administration, Institute of

Physical Education and Sport) and from the Faculty of Arts can choose from over 20 ESP and

EAP language courses each semester, focusing on improving their speaking, reading,

listening and writing skills. LTC has designed many LSP courses with the objectives and

contents based on the levels stated in the CEFR.

Last update: 11.11.2019