The principles of recruitment and selection of researchers in the context of HRS4R are included in the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. These principles form the basis of the policy and procedures of open, transparent and merit based (OTM-R) policies and practices concentrating on recruitment, selection and employment or researchers, which aim to make research careers more attractive, while facilitating mobility and equal opportunities for all candidates:
- Open recruitment includes the publication of open positions, in particular on international web-based resources such as Euraxess. The publication of a position should include information about the position, academic and other requirements, career development prospects and, ideally, also something about the selection process.
- Transparency in the sense of the code of conduct concerns the composition of the selection committee and transparent selection practices. After the selection, candidates should be informed about their strengths and weaknesses.
- Merit-based is described in the Charter and Code: The selection process should take into consideration the whole range of experience of the candidates. While focusing on their overall potential as researchers, their creativity and level of independence should also be considered. This means that merit should be judged qualitatively as well as quantitatively, focusing on outstanding results within a diversified career path and not only on the number of publications.
Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice adheres to the above mentioned OTM-R policy and aim to ensure fair and transparent recruitment and selection processes for its prospective researchers.
Principles of OTM-R
- Openness. The publication of a call for job vacancies is transparent, provides as brief and clear information as possible about the job position, conditions, and selection method, and is accessible to the widest possible range of interested parties. The information is published on suitable portals according to the nature of the position being filled and the requirements for the range of coverage to obtain the most suitable applicants. It can be published within the EURAXESS portal for research organizations, on employment portals in the Slovak Republic or abroad, or in a periodical newspaper with local or national coverage. For more information it is possible to attach links to the lists of jobs advertised that contain comprehensive information, to lists of research programs, organizational structure of workplaces, etc.
- Transparency. The selection process and evaluation method is clear and understandable, and information is made available to all applicants when the call is published. The university’s own employees are not privileged in access to information.
- Merit based evaluation of the degree of fulfilment of the requirements and criteria for filling the job, assessment of the results achieved and the expected benefit individually for each applicant. The process of establishing selection commissions is clearly defined, the conditions for appointing members of selection commissions are followed.
- Equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. The principles of equal opportunities in access to jobs and participation in selection procedures are observed.
- Gender balance. Gender-independent texts of the announcement of selection procedures are published for all positions. The principle of non-discrimination based on gender, race, ethnic origin, religion, faith, disability, age, or sexual orientation is ensured even in scientific research activities.
- Efficiency. The selection process takes into account the minimization of the administrative burden on the part of the employer, the selection committee and on the part of the applicants. The possibilities of electronic communication and electronic form of documents are used.
- Protection of the rights of applicants in the selection process. Applicants are informed about the method and procedure for protecting their rights in the selection procedure.
Rules of OTM-R at UPJŠ in Košice
Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment of Researchers
- All UPJŠ jobs, which are filled through a selection process, are defined in detail in the internal regulations through the characteristics of the job (designation, legal basis for the definition of the job, method of filling, method of selection, method of appointment to the job, nature and duration of the employment relationship , other requirements for the proper performance of work at the workplace, inclusion in the tariff class, “salary conditions”). All UPJŠ jobs, which are filled through a selection procedure, are defined in detail in the internal regulations through their job description
- positions of university teachers – Act on Higher Education, UPJŠ Work Regulations, Catalogue of work activities
- positions of researchers – Rector’s decision no. 22/2016, which determines the structure of the positions of scientific research employees of UPJŠ in Košice and the criteria for filling them, Art. 2 Job contents of functional positions
- UPJŠ has internal regulations that determine the criteria for filling the positions of university teachers and the criteria for filling the positions of researchers.
Transparency in relation to the job attributes is currently ensured individually in the description of the filled job position when announcing the selection process. In accordance with the Rules of the call procedure for filling the positions of university teachers, the positions of researchers, the positions of professors and associate professors, and the positions of senior employees, the announcer of the call publishes the characteristics and content of the position and information or a link to information about the criteria for filling the position.
The calls for the selection procedures are published according to the Principles of the selection procedure for filling the positions of university teachers, the positions of researchers, the positions of professors and associate professors, and the positions of senior employees. The University publishes the calls on the website designated by the Ministry of Education and on its official notice board or the official notice board of the faculty, if it is a job position or position assigned to the faculty. The requirements for filling the post of a university teacher and filling the functional position of an associate professor or professor in the field of pedagogical activity and in the field of creative activity shall be stated by the announcer in the announcement of the selection procedure, in the framework of which s/he also verifies their fulfilment. Information about the call may also be published on employment portals in the Slovak Republic or abroad, or in a periodical newspaper with local or national coverage. The modification of the method of publication is suitable for ensuring sufficient openness of the process of obtaining applicants. The form of publication is chosen by the employer according to the nature of the position to be filled and the requirements for the scope of the recruitment of applicants.
The selection procedures are carried out in accordance with the Principles of the selection procedure for filling the positions of university teachers, the positions of researchers, the positions of professors and associate professors, and the positions of the heads of the university workplaces. The principles have a clear form, they clearly describe, according to the nature of the job, the procedure for the announcement, the establishment of selection committees, the course of the selection process, they describe the form of the selection process, the method of evaluating applicants, the conditions for evaluating the degree of fulfilment of requirements and the required success rate, and the method of informing about the result selection procedure. The Principles determine the procedure for the candidate, if s/he believes that his/her rights have been violated during the selection process or if s/he feels that s/he has been harmed. The principles determine the condition of equal treatment and non-discrimination in the selection process.